Interview: Ox The Architect aka Oxygen

First interview here and guess who is in the house.... That's right my man Oxygen. 

                                          Photo credit - Melissa Alexander
 

Correct me if i am wrong Ox but we know each other for nearly 10 years or so. He is the most calm person i know and always giving the right advice. He helped me getting in my hands on a lot of good music, much appreciation yo! 

Enough said, Ox was good enough to answer couple of my questions. His career was on my radar for quiet few years now, and i always supported his music. 

Here we start! 

1. Tell us a bit about who Oxygen is?

Peace! I’m Oxygen the emcee/recording artist, DJ and vinyl collector originally from Long Island, NY and currently living in the Atlanta, GA area.
 
2. How did everything start, who inspired you?

I started off as most kids with an infatuation for Hip Hop in the 80’s as a B-boy rockin’ on cardboard and linoleum in my hometown of North Babylon, NY. I was also writing graf a little under the moniker Sinister One. The love for vinyl and DJ’ing came before the emceeing actually. My main inspiration came from an older guy in the neighborhood named Greg Rawls (RIP) who was one of my older sisters best friends. He taught me how to mix and blend records and also to begin putting words together into rhymes. Our town bred so many influential artists such as Supreme Force (Freddie Foxxx’s group), Bolaji, Too Poetic, Tone Kapone, House Of Reps and a young Todd Smith before he moved to Queens and became LL Cool J. Our neighboring town, Wyandanch, is home to Rakim, Groove B Chill, Sid & B-Tonn, Brotha Life, Molecular Beats Squadron among others. The area also boasted the mightiest of DJ’s and DJ crews too, so nonstop inspiration was there. Long Island in general has always been a hotbed of talent. It just took the world a minute or two to catch the vibe. 

3.We know you had been involved in many projects, including your solo career. Would you share with us anything about it?

Sure. Well taking it back to the 80’s, we had a crew of about 7 guys from our hood called Dominating Force. One of the guys in the group was one of my best friends to this day DJ Cut Wizard Albee. After DF kind of dissolved, Albee and I continued on with this music thing and started creating basement demos. We called ourselves Hype Sound Productions. My rap name then was MC Just Divine. In ‘86, we had another partner who moved to the area from Patterson Projects in the Bronx known as EZ Gee (later known as King Takeem). So he, Albee and myself formed a crew - Takeem and me on the rhymes, and Albee on the cuts. Flash forward to 1990, what we were doing caught the ear of a local DJ/producer known as Elbee Bad and we began doing some work with him. Albee and him were doing stuff under the name ‘The Wizard & The Prince’, and I started recording under the name Jonzhaft The Psychopath and dropped some 12” releases with Larhon Records and Red Heat, both distributed by Apexton Records. From there, I worked with DJ Smash Hunter and was part of a group Jazz Not Jazz in ‘91. This was very early “acid jazz” stuff and we helped launch Eightball Records & New Breed Records back then. I stopped recording for many years and returned in the mid 2000’s with our group Sputnik Brown (shouts out to Musa). That situation led to me connecting with Soundsci, The Rampagers, and a very lengthy underground solo career working with some extremely talented producers. It’s been an amazing ride! 
 
                                                Photo credit - Melissa Alexander

4. Recently we've seen a dope production called Masterminds In Effect. What can we expect?

Masterminds In Effect (MIE) is my partner in rhyme, Audessey and myself together as a production team. You can expect nothing less than some fly, innovative production - PERIOD! We’re both long time students of the culture and we come with different flavors to add to the pot. Right now, we’re just in the lab building up a catalog of instrumentals and will see where it all leads. 
 
                                                                              Get 'Em Here
 
5. Gone diggin', we know about your digging passion. How and why did you become a vinyl veteran?

Yes, I’ve been known to find a record or two out there in the field. Back in the mid 2000’s, I also had a college radio show out at the University of Stony Brook, Long Island called Chemical Breakdowns. I was on midnight to 3am, and the show actually streamed online. This was during the time MySpace was big. Through that network, I was starting to connect with all these DJ’s and producers from all around the globe. Majority in the UK, as they were just waking up there in the morning to tune into my show. Many of them were also Sputnik Brown fans and also part of a crew called Vinyl Veterans. They basically adopted me into the crew as a U.S. representative and I haven’t looked back since. No matter what I’m involved with musically, the name Vinyl Veterans will always be attached somehow. 

 
 
 
6. Where can you be supported?

You can catch me on IG at @ox_the_architect. There’s links there in my bio for my Bandcamp, Big Cartel & my Discogs page where you can purchase used vinyl, cassettes and CD’s. The Masterminds In Effect page on IG is @mastermindsineffect, or you can visit our website at miepros.com for more info. 
I would like to add THANK YOU for this interview, sir. You have been in my corner for many many years now and it was a supreme honor to be called upon. I appreciate you.
 
Much Respect for taking the time and effort answering my questions Ox, i am sure many people will appreciate your honesty and humbleness. Until next time Big Bro!

1 LOVE

Comments